It’s only whilst i am writing this , that i realise how busy i have been this year, and in particular in the last six months. To start with, we moved to London. It’s been a year of continuous changes and challenges on the personal front as well as on the career front. My goal is to become an author/ illustrator, but with baby, i can only spend a few hours a day to do so. Every waking moment is spent with my little one, and although it is sometimes exhausting, i wouldn’t trade it for the world. So here is what i have accomplished this year.
- ‘My Animals’: An Activity Book for little girls. I had started it in 2014 but never got around to finish it until this last summer. You can find it here.
- ‘Monsieur Taupe’: A story written and illustrated by me. I’ve been working on this story while i was pregnant and throughout baby’s first year, before i finally published it last September. You can find it here.
- ‘Le Petit Chaperon Rouge’: The classic Perrault tale illustrated by me. I created the illustrations when we had to submit an illustration for the 2015 Tomie de Paola Contest. It was a means for me to see and understand my characters better. By the end of this exercise and the end of 2015, I had illustrated the whole book. I only made it an actual book during this last summer.You can find it here.
Reading to Baby
I have started a new blog called “Reading to Baby” where i review board books and picture books from an illustrator perspective. It started as a means to participate in Susanna Hills’ Perfect Picture Book Friday. If this is something of interest to you, then you will need to follow that blog directly to get the reviews. The link is available on the menu of this website.
Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators
- Created an illustrator profile on the SCBWI platform with the hope to get some exposure. You can see it here.
- Participated in the ‘Open Sketchbook’ blog posts of the Words & Pictures newsletter. You can have a look at it here.
- Was featured as an illustrator with a specially made little elf in the advent calendar. You can meet the little fella here.
- Participated in the SCBWI postcard contest with a kite themed illustration. You can find all the entries including mine on here.
- Completed the illustration for the Tomie dePaola Contest but chose not to submit. Am sharing it with you now. The brief was to create an illustration based on a childhood memory. This is one of my favourite moments of my childhood. The day my mum brought a little kitten into our family.
Other Competitions, Events and Challenges
- Participated in Lilla Rogers MATSKIDS Competition to win a place on her course “Illustrating Children’s Books“. ‘The Sugar Plum Fairy’s Adventure’.
- The 100 Day Project. I started the Challenge online and posted daily on Instagram for a while until i got distracted by my other WIP and baby. If you want to see what i shared, just use the hashtag#100roundshapedanimals on instagram , or click here. I know i said that i would try to finish it, but i think i will just drop it and focus on other projects.
- Maeza Magazine. I contributed to Maeza Magazine for a couple of months as their social media and News contributor before stepping down to focus on other projects.
- My kite themed illustration was featured on the very popular kidlit411 website. You can find it here.
- I’ve managed to blog a few times on my website, sharing my news and my illustrative process with my followers.
- The Fairytales Alphabet Challenge. I started participating at the end of last year, but have missed a couple of weeks due to exhaustion. I will catch up on this however, as i am a big fan of fairytales.
And Voila…. Who knew I could spend all my time with baby, yet achieve and do all this as well? Not me, thats for sure. So I am feeling quite good about myself right now !